What’s thyroid eye illness (TED)?
TED is an autoimmune situation that causes your immune cells to assault the wholesome pores and skin and tissue round and behind your eyes.
You probably have a thyroid situation and are experiencing eye signs, you might have TED.
TED is also referred to as Graves’ ophthalmopathy or Graves’ Eye Illness as a result of 9 in 10 folks with TED have Graves’ illness.
About 1 in 2 folks with Graves’ illness have signs of TED.
Graves’ illness causes immune cells to assault the thyroid, usually inflicting hyperthyroidism, a situation the place the thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid hormone.
Much less generally, TED can occur to individuals who have hyperthyroidism with out Graves’ or have hypothyroidism , a situation the place the thyroid doesn’t produce sufficient thyroid hormone.
Graves’ illness and TED each occur when the immune system assaults wholesome physique tissues.
With Graves’ illness, your immune system assaults the thyroid gland. With TED, your immune system assaults the tissue in or across the eye. It’s doable to have one situation with out the opposite.
What you must know if in case you have TED
- The signs of TED are sometimes mistaken for allergic reactions or different circumstances.
- You probably have TED, you will want to hunt care from a specialist, like an ophthalmologist, neuro-ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon .
Whereas TED isn’t thought of to be curable, there are therapies that may assist handle your signs.
What are the phases of TED?
There are two phases of TED: lively and inactive.
Wholesome eye: picture
- Eyelid (can retract in TED, in each lively and inactive phases)
- Sclera (usually white, can get purple, dry and irritated in lively part)
Eye within the lively part of TED
That is the “symptomatic” or “acute” part.
The lively part can final wherever from 6 months to 2 years . Signs will be in each eyes, or one will be extra extreme than the opposite. Remedy to alleviate signs begins on this part.
- Dry, itching or gritty eyes
- Fixed watery eyes
- Puffy eyelids
- Eyelid retraction (eyelids have moved up and aren’t capable of shut all the best way)
- Sensitivity to mild
- Double imaginative and prescient or misaligned imaginative and prescient
- Bulging eyes (proptosis)
- Imaginative and prescient loss
Eye within the inactive part of TED
That is the power part.
Signs are likely to go away and lively irritation goes down.
- Double imaginative and prescient, bulging eyes and eyelid retraction can nonetheless be current on this part.
- Healthcare suppliers are likely to advocate surgical procedure within the inactive part, as soon as irritation has decreased, except there’s concern for lack of imaginative and prescient.
Discuss along with your healthcare supplier if in case you have issues about your thyroid or eye well being. Since TED signs can worsen over time, it’s essential to be identified early so remedy can start straight away.
This useful resource was created with help from Horizon.