CW: This submit discusses suicide.
September is Suicide Prevention Consciousness Month in the USA and yearly, I intention to jot down posts and share info straight associated to suicide prevention all through the month. Although this month of consciousness has grown lately, there are nonetheless many challenges to how we focus on suicide prevention. That stated, I feel this month is an efficient alternative to have conversations and demand consideration for suicide prevention. It’s a public well being challenge, and we should always do the whole lot we will to push for extra schooling and consciousness round suicide prevention.
However what does it imply to have extra schooling and consciousness round this matter? How will we sort out such a seemingly overwhelming topic? It may appear troublesome, nevertheless it’s doable. As a result of right here’s the factor: whether or not we acknowledge it or not, suicide is a public well being challenge that wants consideration in the USA and around the globe. Listed below are some statistics that paint an advanced image of suicide prevention on this nation:
- Suicide charges for females in all age teams over age 25 confirmed latest declines, whereas charges for these aged 10–14 and 15–24 have typically elevated.
- In 2020, suicide was the twelfth main explanation for demise for all ages in the USA, altering from the tenth main trigger in 2019 because of the emergence of COVID-19 deaths and will increase in deaths from persistent liver illness and cirrhosis
- Because the second main explanation for demise in individuals aged 10–34 and the fifth main trigger in individuals aged 35–54, suicide is a significant contributor to untimely mortality
- The suicide charge for males was 3–4 occasions the speed for females in the course of the 2000–2020 interval.
- Suicide was the twelfth main explanation for demise general in the USA, claiming the lives of over 45,900 individuals.
- Suicide was the second main explanation for demise amongst people between the ages of 10-14 and 25-34, the third main explanation for demise amongst people between the ages of 15-24, and the fourth main explanation for demise amongst people between the ages of 35 and 44.
- There have been almost two occasions as many suicides (45,979) in the USA as there have been homicides (24,576).
In response to the NationalAlliance on Psychological Sickness:
- Roughly 11% of younger adults (ages 18-25) report that they’ve had critical ideas about suicide, and about 1–2% report a suicide try in the course of the prior yr.
- These numbers are increased amongst highschool college students — almost 20% report critical ideas about suicide and 9% report a suicide try.
- Amongst younger adults 15–24 years previous within the U.S., the speed of demise by suicide in 2019 was about 14 per 100,000 individuals — barely increased than one suicide for each 10,000 individuals on this age group.
And eventually, from UCLA Well being:
- Suicide is the second-leading explanation for demise amongst individuals age 15 to 24 within the U.S.
- Almost 20% of highschool college students report critical ideas of suicide and 9% have made an try to take their lives
These statistics paint an image of what suicide prevention appears like in the USA. This month isn’t nearly elevating consciousness, however educating individuals about suicide prevention and the way we will stop suicide. There are lots of sources from organizations and advocacy teams that debate how we will work to forestall suicide and whereas they’re accessible year-round, Suicide Prevention Month supplies a while to focus much more on this essential matter.
The Nationwide Alliance on Psychological Sickness, the Suicide Prevention Lifeline, and the CDC have pages devoted to suicide prevention and Suicide Prevention Consciousness Month. My weblog might be full of knowledge and sources all month lengthy, and I’m hoping to create an area the place individuals cannot solely study suicide prevention, however what function they play in stopping it.
Despite the fact that there’s by no means a mistaken time to speak about psychological well being and suicide prevention these consciousness days, weeks and months exist to deliver us collectively and discover methods to teach and help each other. All of us have an element to play in suicide prevention, and it’s essential to seek out how we can assist help ourselves or others as we proceed the struggle towards suicide.