LAUREN TESSIER, ND
Healthcare accessibility and supply is a vital concern in our present dialog. The disparities between cohorts and their healthcare utilization have been deeply studied; varied minority teams undergo on the hand of poor healthcare supply; of this there is no such thing as a debate.1,2 So as to add an additional layer of complication, the male intercourse, which accounts for roughly 50.4% of the world inhabitants,3 fail to hunt care as typically as the feminine intercourse.4 Researchers postulate that projected societal ideas of masculine roles and ideology have a profound impact on male healthcare utilization.5 This regarding paradigm of healthcare inequality doesn’t exist within the vacuum of major care and emergency providers; take my mildew and environmental drugs specialty apply, for instance: males account for under 16% of my affected person inhabitants. Think about for a second this quantity, together with the claims that anyplace from 50%6 to 68%7 of properties within the United States current with some type or signal of dampness or water injury. Furthermore, 85% of business buildings studied by the EPA demonstrated a historical past of water injury, whereas 45% demonstrated present water injury.8 For sure, when solely 16% of care is delivered to males, we not solely have to marvel why, however we additionally have to be on the prepared to help any man who could also be struggling because of publicity. Whereas males could undergo from the commonplace mold-illness signs of fatigue, mind fog, myalgia, GI misery, joint ache, and immune system dysregulation, and many others, they might additionally expertise complaints arising from the disruption of the male endocrine system.
Mycotoxins & the Endocrine System
Whereas it’s well-known that mycotoxin publicity ends in oxidative injury to tissues, one have to be aware of the opposite means by which mycotoxins can wreak havoc within the human system. Analysis has demonstrated disruptive results of mycotoxins on the endocrine system, together with aberrant performance because of altered metabolism of endogenous hormones.11th of September Not solely does this disruption happen through anabolism11; it additionally happens within the catabolic course of. Animal research have demonstrated that mycotoxins are able to altering elements of each Section 1,12-14 and Section 2 detox pathways.15-23 As endogenous hormones are catabolized by such pathways, it’s attainable that mycotoxins are due to this fact in a position to alter their metabolism, leading to elevated ranges of hormones and/or partially metabolized hormonal merchandise. Whereas metabolism is essential to think about, one must also pay attention to aberrant hormonal signaling which will come up from mycotoxin publicity. Analysis has demonstrated the potential of mycotoxins to change nuclear receptor transcription10,24 in addition to receptor stimulation and blockade.25 Given the ever present nature of mycotoxins – each in our meals26 and the constructed surroundings27-30 – and with the potential for systemic publicity because of consumption,31 inhalation,32-34 or transdermal publicity,35-36 clinicians ought to be on the prepared to handle mildew sickness within the normal inhabitants.
Mycotoxins & Testosterone
As one-half of our inhabitants has a system that largely depends upon correct testosterone steadiness, one wants to be aware of the methods wherein mildew publicity can seem clinically in this cohort. Testosterone is liable for quite a few bodily capabilities, together with sexual differentiation, muscle, bone and physique mass, and different much less apparent processes, corresponding to erythropoiesis.37 Correct testosterone steadiness is clearly vital for general well being, as evidenced by analysis demonstrating correlations between decreased testosterone ranges and elevated morbidity and mortality in males.38
Testosterone and androgen deficiency could manifest as complaints of low libido, decreased physique hair, gonadal atrophy, infertility, decreased prevalence of spontaneous erections, sleep difficulties, failure to develop secondary intercourse traits, osteopenia or osteoporosis, fatigue, gynecomastia, muscle mass discount, climacteric occasions, depressed temper, cognitive difficulties, anemia, weight problems, and decreased stamina and power.39 Testosterone is produced primarily by the testicular Leydig cells,40 with a smaller portion produced by the adrenal glands.41 Research have demonstrated that some mycotoxins intrude with the performance of the 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase class of enzymes,11 that are required for correct androgenic metabolism, together with testosterone manufacturing. Furthermore, animal analysis means that Leydig cell testosterone manufacturing is negatively impacted by mycotoxins corresponding to enniatin b,42 zearalenone,43,44 ochratoxin A,44 citrinin,44-46 T-2,44,47 and cytochalasin B.48 Moreover, animal ancillary adrenal testosterone manufacturing is decreased within the presence of enniatin b42 and zearalenone.10
Whereas systemic testosterone ranges are demonstrably decreased in animals uncovered to zearalenone,43 and T-2,49-52 manufacturing and systemic ranges of androgenic hormones aren’t the one elements sophisticated by mycotoxin publicity. Animal analysis has proven that mycotoxins corresponding to beauvericin, deoxynivalenol, and zearalenone and their metabolites act antagonistically at androgen receptors.53,54 Furthermore, because the United States slides slowly into the void of estrogen dominance because of xenoestrogen publicity, we shouldn’t flip a blind eye to the estrogenic results of mycotoxins on the male system. One of the crucial well-known xenoestrogenic mycotoxins is zearalenone and its household of metabolites.53 Their potential to stimulate estrogen receptors55,56 is a results of their structural resemblance to 17-beta-estradiol.57 Much like zearalenone and its metabolites, the deoxynivalenol metabolite, 3-acetyl-deoxynivalenol, additionally acts agnostically at the estrogen receptor.53 Additional complicating the estrogen and testosterone steadiness, zearalenone and its metabolites aren’t solely in a position to stimulate receptors, however can also promote a rise in adrenal cortical estradiol manufacturing.10
Mildew Publicity & Male Fertility
It’s estimated that roughly 2.5-12% of the male inhabitants is infertile, with the very best charges occurring in Europe and Africa.58 With infertility on the rise, one ought to be cautious to think about the attainable etiology, together with environmental publicity. It has been instructed within the literature59 that mycotoxins could possibly be the reason for infertility in some nations the place foodborne publicity is elevated. The truth is, 2 research of infertile males have demonstrated elevated ranges of aflatoxin of their semen, in comparison with fertile controls.60,61 Such ideas aren’t unfounded, as we all know that Leydig cells are impacted by mycotoxin publicity. As these cells are liable for testosterone manufacturing, they’re additionally crucial to spermatogenesis. Animal research have confirmed altered performance and even cytotoxic results in Leydig cells because of publicity to the mycotoxins citrinin,45 deoxynivalenol,62 ochratoxin A,62 T-2,47,63-68 aflatoxin,40,69 and zearalenone.70-73 Additionally vital for spermatogenesis are the Sertoli cells, which have been documented in animal research to be negatively affected by citrinin,74 fumonisin B1,75 ochratoxin A,76 T-2,77 and zearalenone.78-82 Furthermore, the animal literature clearly paperwork altered in-vivo spermatogenesis in animals uncovered to zearalenone,83,84 T-2,85 ochratoxin A,86 patulin,87 fumonisin B1,88-90 deoxynivalenol,91 citrinin,46 and aflatoxin B1.92-93 Reductions in viable sperm rely have additionally been documented in animals uncovered to zearalenone,94 deoxynivalenol,91,95 and T-2.49,50,96 Decreased motility within the presence of ochratoxin A,82 zearalenone,43,94 T-2,49,51,85 and different trichothecenes97 – and, in some situations, even germ cell apoptosis96 – have additionally been documented. Many of those modifications have been reported together with testicular atrophy in animals uncovered to zearalenone,83,98 and T-2.96
Elevated Susceptibility & Safety
Animal research recommend that distinctive susceptibility to mycotoxicity ought to be thought of within the male inhabitants. For instance, male rodents have demonstrated a decreased potential to renally clear deoxynivalenol from the system.99,100 Research have proven elevated plasma and organ concentrations of deoxynivalenol in male rodents,101 with out clear correlation to any sex-related variances within the main mechanism of cleansing through glucuronidation.99 Whereas it’s unclear whether or not the identical findings apply to male people or to different mycotoxins, it’s nonetheless some extent that ought to be thought of when navigating the scientific method to and prognosis of male shoppers. That mentioned, we’re conscious that there are sex-correlated dimorphic variations within the human expression of Section 1 pathways corresponding to CYP3A5,102 CYP3A4,103,104 and CYP1A2.103 This is a vital consideration, as we’re conscious that many mycotoxins are metabolized by a few of these identical pathways (holding in thoughts that a few of these pathways additionally lead to intermediates that enhance cytotoxicity)105; examples embrace: aflatoxin B1, which in people is metabolized by human CYP1A2,105 -3A4,105,106 -2B1,107 -2c11,107 -3A1,107 -3A2,107 and -2A1106; ochratoxin A, which is metabolized by CYP1A1, -1A2, -2C9, and -3A4108; ennantin B, which is metabolized by CYP3A4, -1A2, and -2C1912; and aflatoxin G1, which is metabolized by CYP1A2, -3A5, and -3A4.198,110
Some animal research display the protecting position of testosterone in response to mycotoxin-induced injury; this consists of the hormone’s protecting position in circumstances of T-2-toxin-induced adrenocortical necrosis111 and aflatoxin-induced RBC hemolysis.112 Alternatively, animal research additionally display that testosterone could also be associated to an elevated incidence of deoxynivalenol-induced IgA nephropathy113,114 and anorexia,115 and likewise ochratoxin-induced liver and kidney injury.116 These findings aren’t restricted to animal research, as a human cohort examine demonstrated a correlation between plasma ochratoxin A ranges and C-reactive protein and cardiovascular threat rating in males, although not in ladies.117
Whereas a lot of this info comes from animal analysis – as does a lot of the mycotoxin literature – it does elevate some fascinating concerns concerning the administration of our male shoppers, particularly these affected by mycotoxin publicity.
- Hardeman RR, Murphy KA, Karbeah J, Kozhimannil KB. Naming Institutionalized Racism within the Public Well being Literature: A Systematic Literature Assessment. Public Well being Rep. 2018;133(3):240-249.
- Ben J, Cormack D, Harris R, Paradies Y. Racism and well being service utilisation: A scientific evaluation and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2017;12(12):e0189900
- Ritchie H, Roser M. Gender Ratio. June 2019. OurWorldInData.org. Accessible at: https://ourworldindata.org/gender-ratio. Accessed August 16, 2020.
- Schlichthorst M, Sanci LA, Pirkis J, et al. Why do males go to the physician? Socio-demographic and way of life elements related to healthcare utilisation amongst a cohort of Australian males. BMC Public Well being. 2016;16(Suppl 3):1028.
- Himmelstein MS, Sanchez DT. Masculinity impediments: Internalized masculinity contributes to healthcare avoidance in women and men. J Well being Psychol. 2016;21(7):1283-1292.
- Spengler JD, Jaakkola JJ, Parise H, et al. Housing traits and kids’s respiratory well being within the Russian Federation. Am J Public Well being. 2004;94(4):657-662.
- Maier WC, Arrighi HM, Morray B, et al. Indoor threat elements for bronchial asthma and wheezing amongst Seattle college youngsters. Environ Well being Perspect.1997;105(2):208-214.
- Girman JR, Baker BJ, Burton LE. Prevalence of Potential Sources of Indoor Air Air pollution in U.S. Workplace Buildings. Proceedings of Indoor Air. 2002(9):438-443.
- Pfeiffer E, Diwald TT, Metzler M. Patulin reduces glutathione stage and enzyme actions in rat liver slices. Mol Nutr Meals Res. 2005;49(4):329-336.
- Frizzell C, Ndossi D, Verhaegen S, et al. Endocrine disrupting results of zearalenone, alpha- and beta-zearalenol on the stage of nuclear receptor binding and steroidogenesis. Toxicol Lett. 2011;206(2):210-217.
- Krazeisen A, Breitling R, Möller G, Adamski J. Phytoestrogens inhibit human 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase kind 5. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2001;171(1-2):151-162.
- Fæste CK, Ivanova L, Uhlig S. In vitro metabolism of the mycotoxin enniatin B in numerous species and cytochrome p450 enzyme phenotyping by chemical inhibitors. Drug Metab Dispos. 2011;39(9):1768-1776.
- Osselaere A, Li SJ, De Bock L, et al. Poisonous results of dietary publicity to T-2 toxin on intestinal and hepatic biotransformation enzymes and drug transporter techniques in broiler chickens. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2013;55:150-155.
- Meissonnier GM, Laffitte J, Loiseau N, et al. Selective impairment of drug-metabolizing enzymes in pig liver throughout subchronic dietary publicity to aflatoxin B1. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2007;45(11):2145-2154.
- Limonciel A, Jennings P. A evaluation of the proof that ochratoxin A is an Nrf2 inhibitor: implications for nephrotoxicity and renal carcinogenicity. Toxins (Basel). 2014;6(1):371-379.
- Dai C, Xiao X, Solar F, et al. T-2 toxin neurotoxicity: position of oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction. Arch Toxicol. 2019;93(11):3041-3056.
- Chaudhary M, Rao PVL. Mind oxidative stress after dermal and subcutaneous publicity of T-2 toxin in mice. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2010;48(12):3436-3442.
- Ramyaa P, Krishnaswamy R, Padma VV. Quercetin modulates OTA-induced oxidative stress and redox signalling in HepG2 cells – up regulation of Nrf2 expression and down regulation of NF-κB and COX-2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1840(1):681-692.
- Huang L, Duan C, Zhao Y, et al. Discount of Aflatoxin B1 Toxicity by Lactobacillus plantarum C88: A Potential Probiotic Pressure Remoted from Chinese language Conventional Fermented Meals “Tofu.” PLoS One. 2017;12(1):e0170109.
- Guerre P, Eeckhoutte C, Burgat V, Galtier P. The results of T-2 toxin publicity on liver drug metabolizing enzymes in rabbit. Meals Addit Contam. 2000;17(12):1019-1026.
- Yılmaz S, Kaya E, Comakli S. Vitamin E (α tocopherol) attenuates toxicity and oxidative stress induced by aflatoxin in rats. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2017;26(6):907-917.
- Choi KC, Chung WT, Kwon JK, et al. Chemoprevention of a flavonoid fraction from Rhus verniciflua Stokes on aflatoxin B1-induced hepatic injury in mice. J Appl Toxicol. 2011;31(2):150-156.
- Yilmaz S, Kaya E, Karaca A, Karatas O. Aflatoxin B1 induced renal and cardiac injury in rats: Protecting impact of lycopene. Res Vet Sci. 2018;119:268-275.
- Marketon JI, Sternberg EM. The glucocorticoid receptor: a revisited goal for toxins. Toxins (Basel). 2010;2(6):1357-1380.
- Rogowska A, Pomastowski P, Sagandykova G, Buszewski B. Zearalenone and its metabolites: Impact on human well being, metabolism and neutralisation strategies. Toxicon. 2019;15(162):46-56.
- Marin S, Ramos AJ, Cano-Sancho G, Sanchis V. Mycotoxins: prevalence, toxicology, and publicity evaluation. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2013;(60):218-237.
- Salo MJ, Marik T, Mikkola R, et al. Penicillium expansum pressure remoted from indoor constructing materials was in a position to develop on gypsum board and emitted guttation droplets containing chaetoglobosins and communesins A, B and D. J Appl Microbiol. 2019;127(4):1135-1147.
- Bennett JW, Inamdar AA. Are Some Fungal Risky Natural Compounds (VOCs) Mycotoxins? Toxins (Basel). 2015;7(9):3785-3804.
- Bloom E, Grimsley LF, Pehrson C, et al. Molds and mycotoxins in mud from water-damaged properties in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. Indoor Air. 2009;19(2):153-158.
- Brasel TL, Martin JM, Carriker CG, et al. Detection of airborne Stachybotrys chartarum macrocyclic trichothecene mycotoxins within the indoor surroundings. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71(11):7376-7388.
- Oyelami OA, Maxwell SM, Adelusola KA, et al. Aflatoxins within the post-mortem mind tissue of youngsters in Nigeria. Mycopathologia.1995;132:35-38.
- Thurman JD, Creasia DA, Trotter RW. Mycotoxicosis attributable to aerosolized T-2 toxin administered to feminine mice. Am J Vet Res. 1988;49(11):1928-1931.
- Creasia DA, Thurman JD, Jones LJ third, et al. Acute inhalation toxicity of T-2 mycotoxin in mice. Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1987;8(2):230-235.
- Creasia DA, Thurman JD, Wannemacher RW Jr, Bunner DL. Acute inhalation toxicity of T-2 mycotoxin within the rat and guinea pig. Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1990;14(1):54-59.
- Kemppainen BW, Riley RT, Tempo JG. Pores and skin Absorption as a Route of Publicity for Aflatoxin and Trichothecenes. Journal of Toxicology: Toxin Critiques. 1988;7(2):95-120.
- Boonen J, Malysheva SV, Taevernier L, et al. Human pores and skin penetration of chosen mannequin mycotoxins. Toxicology. 2012;301(1-3):21-32.
- Bhasin S, Jasuja R. Reproductive and Nonreproductive Actions of Testosterone. Enc Endocr Dis. 2019;2:721-734.
- Cunningham GR, Toma SM. Scientific evaluation: Why is androgen substitute in males controversial? J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(1):38-52.
- Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Hayes FJ, et al. Testosterone remedy in males with androgen deficiency syndromes: an Endocrine Society scientific apply guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(6):2536-2559.
- Adedara IA, Nanjappa MK, Farombi EO, Akingbemi BT. Aflatoxin B1 disrupts the androgen biosynthetic pathway in rat Leydig cells. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2014;65:252-259.
- Antoniou-Tsigkos A, Zapanti E, Ghizzoni L, et al. Adrenal Androgens. Final up to date January 5, 2019. Endotext. Accessible at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK278929. Accessed August 16, 2020.
- Kalayou S, Ndossi D, Frizzell C, et al. An investigation of the endocrine disrupting potential of enniatin B utilizing in vitro bioassays. Toxicol Lett. 2015;233(2):84-94.
- Del Fabbro L, Jesse CR, de Gomes MG, et al. The flavonoid chrysin protects towards zearalenone induced reproductive toxicity in male mice. Toxicon. 2019;165:13-21.
- Fenske M, Fink-Gremmels J. Results of fungal metabolites on testosterone secretion in vitro. Arch Toxicol. 1990;64(1):72-75.
- Liu S, Wang D, Zhang J, et al. Citrinin reduces testosterone secretion by inducing apoptosis in rat Leydig cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2012;26(6):856-861.
- Qingqing H, Linbo Y, Yunqian G, Shuqiang L. Poisonous results of citrinin on the male reproductive system in mice. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2012;64(5):465-469.
- Yang J, Zhang Y, Jing A, et al. Results of T-2 toxin on testosterone biosynthesis in mouse Leydig cells. Toxicol Ind Well being. 2014;30(10):873-877.
- Murono EP, Lin T, Osterman J, Nankin HR. The results of cytochalasin B on testosterone synthesis by interstitial cells of rat testis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1980;633(2):228-236.
- Wu J, Yang C, Liu J, et al. Betulinic Acid Attenuates T-2-Toxin-Induced Testis Oxidative Injury Via Regulation of the JAK2/STAT3 Signaling Pathway in Mice. Biomolecules. 2019;9(12):787.
- Yang JY, Zhang YF, Liang AM, et al. Poisonous results of T-2 toxin on reproductive system in male mice. Toxicol Ind Well being. 2010;26(1):25-31.
- Kovács M, Tornyos G, Matics Z, et al. Subsequent impact of subacute T-2 toxicosis on spermatozoa, seminal plasma and testosterone manufacturing in rabbits. Animal. 2011;5(10):1563-1569.
- Kovács M, Tornyo G, Matics Z, et al. Impact of persistent T-2 toxin publicity in rabbit bucks, willpower of the No Noticed Antagonistic Impact Degree (NOAEL). Anim Reprod Sci. 2013;137(3-4):245-252.
- Demaegdt H, Daminet B, Evrard A, et al. Endocrine exercise of mycotoxins and mycotoxin mixtures. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2016;96:107-116.
- García-Herranz V, Valdehita A, Navas JM, Fernández-Cruz ML. Cytotoxicity towards fish and mammalian cell strains and endocrine exercise of the mycotoxins beauvericin, deoxynivalenol and ochratoxin-A. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2019;127:288-297.
- Kowalska Okay, Habrowska-Górczyńska DE, Piastowska-Ciesielska AW. Zearalenone as an endocrine disruptor in people. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;48:141-149.
- Malekinejad H, Colenbrander B, Fink-Gremmels J. Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in bovine and porcine granulosa cells convert zearalenone into its hydroxylated metabolites alpha-zearalenol and beta-zearalenol. Vet Res Commun. 2006;30(4):445-453.
- Al-Jaal BA, Jaganjac M, Barcaru A, et al. Aflatoxin, fumonisin, ochratoxin, zearalenone and deoxynivalenol biomarkers in human organic fluids: A scientific literature evaluation, 2001-2018. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2019;129:211-228.
- Agarwal A, Mulgund A, Hamada A, Chyatte MR. A singular view on male infertility across the globe. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2015;13:37.
- El Khoury D, Fayjaloun S, Nassar M, et al. Updates on the Impact of Mycotoxins on Male Reproductive Effectivity in Mammals. Toxins (Basel). 2019;11(9):515.
- Ibeh IN, Uriah N, Ogonor JI. Dietary publicity to aflatoxin in human male fertility in Benin Metropolis, Nigeria. Int J Fertil Menopausal Stud.1994;39(4):208-214.
- Uriah N, Ibeh IN, Oluwafemi FT. A examine on the influence of aflatoxins on human copy. Afr J Reprod Well being. 2001;5(1):106-110.
- Eze UA, Huntriss J, Routledge MN, Gong YY. Toxicological results of regulated mycotoxins and protracted organochloride pesticides: In vitro cytotoxic evaluation of single and outlined mixtures on MA-10 murine Leydig cell line. Toxicol In Vitro. 2018;48:93-103.
- Wang J, Yang C, Yuan Z, et al. T-2 Toxin Publicity Induces Apoptosis in TM3 Cells by Inhibiting Mammalian Goal of Rapamycin/Serine/Threonine Protein Kinase(mTORC2/AKT) to Promote Ca2+Manufacturing. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(11):3360.
- Yang JY, Zhang YF, Li YX, et al. l-arginine protects towards oxidative injury induced by T-2 toxin in mouse Leydig cells. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2018;32(10):e22209.
- Yang JY, Zhang YF, Li YX, et al. Results of t-2 toxin on the regulation of steroidogenesis in mouse leydig cells. Toxicol Ind Well being. 2016;32(10):1801-1807.
- Jian YY, Yong FZ, Xiang PM, et al. T-2 toxin inhibits gene expression and exercise of key steroidogenesis enzymes in mouse leydig cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2015;29:1166-1171.
- Zhang YF, Su PK, Wang LJ, et al. T-2 toxin induces apoptosis through the Bax-dependent caspase-3 activation in mouse major Leydig cells. Toxicol Mech Strategies. 2018;28(1):23-28.
- Yuan Z, Matias FB, Yi JE, Wu J. T-2 toxin-induced cytotoxicity and injury on TM3 Leydig cells. Comparative biochemistry and physiology. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol.2019;181-182:47-54.
- Austin KJ, Cockrum RR, Jons AM, et al. Renin mRNA is upregulated in testes and testicular cells in response to remedy with aflatoxin B1. Theriogenology. 2012;77(2):331-7.e77.
- Lin P, Chen F, Solar J, et al. Mycotoxin zearalenone induces apoptosis in mouse Leydig cells through an endoplasmic reticulum stress-dependent signalling pathway. Reprod Toxicol. 2015;52:71-77.
- Liu Q, Wang Y, Gu J, et al. Zearalenone inhibits testosterone biosynthesis in mouse Leydig cells through the crosstalk of estrogen receptor signaling and orphan nuclear receptor Nur77 expression. Toxicol In Vitro. 2014;28(4):647-656.
- Wang Y, Zheng W, Bian X, et al. Zearalenone induces apoptosis and cytoprotective autophagy in major Leydig cells. Toxicol Lett. 2014;226(2):182-191.
- Li Y, Zhang B, Huang Okay, et al. Mitochondrial proteomic evaluation reveals the molecular mechanisms underlying reproductive toxicity of zearalenone in MLTC-1 cells. Toxicology. 2014;324:55-67.
- Aydin Y, Orta Yilmaz B, Yildizbayrak N, et al. Analysis of citrinin-induced poisonous results on mouse Sertoli cells. [published online ahead of print, 2019 May 29]. Drug Chem Toxicol. 2019;1-7. [Epub ahead of print. 2019 May 29]
- Ewuola EO. Organ traits and histopathology of rabbits fed diversified ranges of dietary fumonisin B(1). J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2009;93(6):726-731.
- Park H, Park HS, Lim W, Music G. Ochratoxin A suppresses proliferation of Sertoli and Leydig cells in mice. Med Mycol. 2020;58(1):71-82.
- Karacaoğlu E, Selmanoğlu G. T-2 toxin induces cytotoxicity and disrupts tight junction barrier in SerW3 cells. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;56:259-267.
- Koraïchi F, Inoubli L, Lakhdari N, et al. Neonatal publicity to zearalenone induces long run modulation of ABC transporter expression in testis. Toxicology. 2013;310:29-38.
- Zheng W, Pan S, Wang G, et al. Zearalenone impairs the male reproductive system capabilities through inducing structural and practical alterations of sertoli cells. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;42:146-155.
- Xu ML, Hu J, Guo BP, et al. Exploration of intrinsic and extrinsic apoptotic pathways in zearalenone-treated rat sertoli cells. Environ Toxicol. 2016;31(12):1731-1739.
- Cai G, Si M, Li X, et al. Zearalenone induces apoptosis of rat Sertoli cells by Fas-Fas ligand and mitochondrial pathway. Environ Toxicol. 2019;34(4):424-433.
- Zhang TY, Wu RY, Zhao Y, et al. Ochratoxin A publicity decreased sperm motility through the AMPK and PTEN signaling pathways. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2018;340:49-57.
- Kim IH, Son HY, Cho SW, et al. Zearalenone induces male germ cell apoptosis in rats. Toxicol Lett. 2003;138(3):185-192.
- Yang J, Zhang Y, Wang Y, et al. Poisonous results of zearalenone and zearalenol on the regulation of steroidogenesis and testosterone manufacturing inmouse Leydig cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2007;21(4):558-565.
- Yang JY, Zhang YF, Liang AM, et al. Poisonous results of T-2 toxin on reproductive system in male mice. Toxicol Ind Well being. 2010;26(1):25-31.
- Gharbi A, Trillon O, Betbeder AM, et al. Some results of ochratoxin A, a mycotoxin contaminating feeds and meals, on rat testis. Toxicology. 1993;83(1-3):9-18.
- Selmanoğlu G. Analysis of the reproductive toxicity of patulin in rising male rats. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2006;44(12):2019-2024.
- Gbore FA. Reproductive organ weights and semen high quality of pubertal boars fed dietary fumonisin B1. Animal. 2009;3(8):1133-1137.
- Gbore FA, Egbunike GN. Testicular and epididymal sperm reserves and sperm manufacturing of pubertal boars fed dietary fumonisin B(1). Anim Reprod Sci. 2008;105(3-4):392-397.
- Ewuola EO, Egbunike GN. Results of dietary fumonisin B1 on the onset of puberty, semen high quality, fertility charges and testicular morphology in male rabbits. Replica. 2010;139(2):439-445.
- Sprando RL, Collins TF, Black TN, et al. Characterization of the impact of deoxynivalenol on chosen male reproductive endpoints. Meals Chem Toxicol. 2005;43(4):623-635.
- Supriya C, Girish BP, Reddy PS. Aflatoxin B1-Induced Reproductive Toxicity in Male Rats: Doable Mechanism of Motion. Int J Toxicol. 2014;33(3):155-161.
- Hasanzadeh S, Rezazadeh L. Results of aflatoxin B1 on the expansion processes of spermatogenic cell collection in grownup male rats. Comp Clin Path. 2012;22(4):555-562.
- Lengthy M, Yang S, Wang Y, et al. The Protecting Impact of Selenium on Persistent Zearalenone-Induced Reproductive System Injury in Male Mice. Molecules. 2016;21(12):1687.
- Sprando RL, Pestka J, Collins TF, et al. The impact of vomitoxin (Deoxnivalenol) on testicular morphology, testicular spermatid counts and epididymal sperm counts in IL-6KO [B6129-IL6 [tmlKopf] (IL-6 gene poor)] and WT [B6129F2 (wild type to B6129-IL6 with an intact IL-6 gene)] mice. Meals Chem Toxicol. 1999;37(11):1073-1079.
- Yang X, Zhang X, Zhang J, et al. Spermatogenesis dysfunction attributable to T-2 toxin is related to germ cell apoptosis mediated by oxidative stress. Environ Pollut. 2019;251:372-379.
- Alm Okay, Dahlbom M, Säynäjärvi M, et al. Impaired semen high quality of AI bulls fed with moldy hay: a case report. Theriogenology. 2002;58(8):1497-1502.
- Mirocha CJ, Schauerhamer B, Christensen CM, et al. Incidence of zearalenol (Fusarium mycotoxin) in animal feed. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1979;38(4):749-750.
- Pestka JJ, Clark ES, Schwartz-Zimmermann HE, et al. Intercourse Is a Determinant for Deoxynivalenol Metabolism and Elimination within the Mouse Toxins (Basel). 2017;9(8):240. [Published correction in Toxins (Basel). 2019;11(5).].
- Wan D, Huang L, Pan Y, et al. Metabolism, distribution, and excretion of deoxynivalenol with mixed methods of radiotracing, high-performance liquid chromatography ion lure time-of-flight mass spectrometry, and on-line radiometric detection. J Agric Meals Chem. 2014;62(1):288-296.
- Clark ES, Flannery BM, Pestka JJ. Murine Anorectic Response to Deoxynivalenol (Vomitoxin) Is Intercourse-Dependent. Toxins (Basel). 2015;7(8):2845-2859.
- Thangavel C, Boopathi E, Shapiro BH. Inherent sex-dependent regulation of human hepatic CYP3A5. Br J Pharmacol. 2013;168(4):988-1000.
- Dhir RN, Dworakowski W, Thangavel C, et al. Sexually dimorphic regulation of hepatic isoforms of human cytochrome p450 by development hormone. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;316(1):87-94.
- Thangavel C, Boopathi E, Shapiro BH. Intrinsic sexually dimorphic expression of the principal human CYP3A4 correlated with suboptimal activation of GH/glucocorticoid-dependent transcriptional pathways in males. Endocrinology. 2011;152(12):4813-4824.
- Lewis CW, Smith JE, Anderson JG, Freshney RI. Elevated cytotoxicity of food-borne mycotoxins towards human cell strains in vitro through enhanced cytochrome p450 expression utilizing the MTT bioassay. Mycopathologia. 1999;148(2):97-102.
- Dohnal V, Wu Q, Kuča Okay. Metabolism of aflatoxins: key enzymes and interindividual in addition to interspecies variations. Arch Toxicol. 2014;88(9):1635-1644.
- Kim BR, Kim DH, Park R, et al. Impact of an extract of the foundation of Scutellaria baicalensis and its flavonoids on aflatoxin B1 oxidizing cytochrome P450 enzymes. Planta Med. 2001;67(5):396-399.
- Fink-Gremmels J, Jahn A, Blom MJ. Toxicity and metabolism of ochratoxin A. Nat Toxins. 1995;3(4):214-220.
- Gorski JG, Corridor SD, Jones DR, et al. Regioselective biotransformation of midazolam by members of the human CYP3A subfamily. Biochem Pharmacol. 1994;47(9):1643-1653.
- Kolars JC, Lown KS, Schmeidlin-Ren P, et al. CYP3A gene expression in human intestine epithelium. Pharmacogenetics. 1994;4(5):247-258.
- Thurman JD, Creasia DA, Trotter RW. Results of testosterone on the prevention of T-2 toxin-induced adrenocortical necrosis in mice. Am J Vet Res. 1989;50(6):942-944.
- Raval PJ, Verma RJ. Steroid hormones retard aflatoxin-induced cytotoxicity. Indian J Exp Biol. 1993;31(9):780-781.
- Pestka JJ. Mechanisms of deoxynivalenol-induced gene expression and apoptosis. Meals Addit Contam Half A Chem Anal Management Expo Danger Assess. 2008;25(9):1128-1140.
- Greene DM, Azcona-Olivera JI, Murtha JM, et al. Results of dihydrotestosterone and estradiol on experimental IgA nephropathy induced by vomitoxin. Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1995;26(1):107-116.
- Iverson F, Armstrong C, Nera E, et al. Persistent feeding examine of deoxynivalenol in B6C3F1 female and male mice. Teratog Carcinog Mutagen. 1995;15(6):283-306.
- Mor F, Kilic MA, Ozmen O, et al. The results of orchidectomy on toxicological responses to dietary ochratoxin A in Wistar rats. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2014;66(5-6):267-275.
- di Giuseppe R, Bertuzzi T, Rossi F, et al. Plasma ochratoxin A ranges, meals consumption, and threat biomarkers of a consultant pattern of women and men from the Molise area in Italy. Eur J Nutr. 2012;51(7):851-860.
Lauren Tessier, ND, is a licensed naturopathic doctor specializing in mold-related sickness. She is a nationally recognized speaker and is the vp of the Worldwide Society for Environmentally Acquired Sickness (ISEAI) – a non-profit devoted to educating physicians in regards to the prognosis and remedy of environmentally acquired sickness. Dr Tessier’s apply, “Life After Mildew,” in Waterbury, VT, attracts shoppers from all around the globe that suffer from persistent complicated sickness because of environmental publicity and persistent infections. Dr Tessier’s e-booklet, Mildew Prevention: 101, has been broadly circulated and its ideas applied by many worldwide. Fb tagging: @lifeaftermold