Printed on: 23 Might 2023
In case you’re contemplating taking Celexa (citalopram) in your psychological well being, it’s essential to grasp the potential unwanted effects. A frequent query for a lot of is “does Celexa trigger weight achieve?” Although there’s no particular reply, sure selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants — together with Celexa — have been discovered to probably contribute to elevated physique mass and physique weight change.
Right here we’re taking a look at Celexa and weight achieve and easy methods to handle it if it’s a aspect impact you expertise. We’ll additionally talk about weight reduction methods whereas nonetheless taking Celexa, so you possibly can resolve whether or not this SSRI antidepressant medicine and its widespread unwanted effects are best for you.
How A lot Weight Do You Acquire on Celexa?
Slight weight achieve is a standard aspect impact when taking an SSRI antidepressant reminiscent of Celexa. Whereas the burden gained varies from individual to individual and is dependent upon many components, it’s normally minimal — some analysis suggests weight achieve in folks taking antidepressants is often not more than 6 kilos over the course of two years.
That mentioned, it’s troublesome to foretell how a lot, if any, Celexa weight achieve you’ll have as a result of everybody responds otherwise to drugs and has totally different physique chemistry and life-style habits that might influence weight. Research present that people who find themselves initially underweight after they begin taking antidepressants usually tend to achieve weight on account of their remedy plan. Additionally, unsurprisingly, in research, these with an unhealthy life-style is likely to be extra vulnerable to vital weight achieve after beginning antidepressants.
What causes extra weight achieve — Celexa or Lexapro?
Celexa and Lexapro are two generally prescribed antidepressants to handle despair signs. They’ve each been identified to probably trigger slight, however normally minimal, weight achieve as a Celexa aspect impact. Nevertheless, The Nationwide Library of Drugs has linked decreased urge for food to Lexapro, which in idea, may result in Celexa having extra potential to trigger weight achieve. Extra a extra in-depth comparability of those two drugs, try our article on Celexa vs. Lexapro.
“Whereas sufferers on Celexa or Lexapro have reported weight achieve, it’s at all times essential to work carefully along with your prescriber to grasp why. SSRIs enhance serotonin, which impacts habits and has been proven to extend urge for food, which can end in weight achieve however not essentially trigger it. When taking any new drugs, keep in mind well-established routines can assist promote optimum impact and in addition total well being.”
Psychiatry and Prescriptions On-line
Obtain an analysis and prescription for psychological well being medicine (if wanted) from a psychiatry-trained medical supplier.
Attainable Causes of Weight Acquire from Celexa
It’s not at all times simple to pinpoint the precise reason behind this Celexa aspect impact, however some components are broadly believed to be doable contributors.
Improve in urge for food
One doable reason behind Celexa weight achieve is an enhance in urge for food. Individuals who take Celexa typically report feeling hungrier and craving extra meals than regular. This could result in overeating and, consequently, weight achieve over time. Moreover, sure meals can set off cravings, contributing to undesirable physique weight change if not appropriately managed.
One other potential issue for gaining weight on Celexa is metabolic adjustments attributable to the drug itself. Some folks expertise slowed metabolism as a result of their medicine use which signifies that energy are burned off extra slowly, resulting in gradual however regular will increase in physique mass index (BMI).
Many people report weariness or sluggishness when taking this drug, making exercising robust in some circumstances. Coupled with elevated urge for food and slowed metabolism, lack of train might trigger further, and even vital weight achieve.
Can You Lose Weight Whereas Taking Celexa?
Sure, it’s doable to shed kilos whereas on Celexa. Managing weight achieve on Celexa could seem troublesome, however with the precise assets and data, sustaining or losing a few pounds is feasible.
Easy methods to Handle Weight Acquire on Celexa
With the next ideas, you may get a maintain on managing weight achieve from Celexa.
- First, preserve a wholesome and balanced food regimen. Consuming loads of recent vegetables and fruit, lean proteins, and entire grains will assist preserve your metabolism and forestall unhealthy cravings.
- You additionally wish to make sure you get sufficient sleep every evening. Lack of sleep can result in elevated starvation hormones like ghrelin which might trigger overeating or binge consuming.
- Keep energetic, as bodily exercise helps enhance mood-regulating neurotransmitters like serotonin which can be affected by the medicine. For optimum psychological well being, attempt for half-hour of reasonable bodily exercise, reminiscent of strolling or swimming, each day.
- Lastly, contemplate speaking to a psychological well being skilled about how greatest to handle any adjustments in urge for food or Celexa and weight achieve. A therapist can assist you study to make use of wholesome coping methods when coping with cravings or demanding consuming behaviors that will contribute to weight achieve. With the precise mixture of life-style modifications and psychological assist, you possibly can handle any potential unwanted effects from Celexa use, together with weight achieve.
In case you’re involved in regards to the unwanted effects of Celexa, please discuss to a health care provider first. It’s best to at all times seek the advice of with a licensed skilled earlier than you contemplate stopping any medicine, as withdrawal from Celexa can happen.
“We should do not forget that any new medicine’s objective is to lower unfavorable signs. I at all times encourage shoppers to do not forget that wholesome routines beget optimum outcomes. Even when signs enhance, we nonetheless must do the “work” to stay wholesome, which incorporates sleep, train, and vitamin, and requires self-education exterior of our suppliers. It’s not not possible to handle issues successfully, utilizing the instruments and assist from remedy, along with a considerate routine.”
Discover Out If Celexa is Proper for You with Talkspace
Getting management over Celexa weight achieve might be troublesome, but it surely’s doable with the precise assets and data. In case you’re contemplating taking Celexa in your psychological well being wants, Talkspace can assist. Our on-line psychiatry and remedy platform offers a handy and protected option to entry high quality care from dwelling. We provide customized remedy plans tailor-made to your wants, together with medicine administration companies, so you possibly can confidently contemplate getting Celexa on-line in case your physician recommends it to deal with your despair or different psychological well being situation.
- Arterburn D, Sofer T, Boudreau D, et al. Lengthy-term weight change after initiating second-generation antidepressants. Journal of Scientific Drugs. 2016;5(4):48. doi:10.3390/jcm5040048. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4850471/pdf/jcm-05-00048.pdf. Accessed March 1, 2023.
- Uher R, Mors O, Hauser J, et al. Adjustments in physique weight throughout pharmacological remedy of despair. The Worldwide Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;14(03):367-375. doi:10.1017/s1461145710000933. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20716398/. Accessed March 1, 2023.
- Shi Z, Atlantis E, Taylor AW, et al. SSRI antidepressant use potentiates weight achieve within the context of unhealthy life: Outcomes from a 4-year Australian follow-up examine. BMJ Open. 2017;7(8). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016224. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5629701/. Accessed March 1, 2023.
- Escitalopram. MedlinePlus. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a603005.html. Accessed March 1, 2023.
Talkspace articles are written by skilled psychological health-wellness contributors; they’re grounded in scientific analysis and evidence-based practices. Articles are extensively reviewed by our workforce of scientific specialists (therapists and psychiatrists of assorted specialties) to make sure content material is correct and on par with present trade requirements.
Our objective at Talkspace is to offer probably the most up-to-date, helpful, and goal data on psychological health-related matters to be able to assist readers make knowledgeable selections.
Articles comprise trusted third-party sources which can be both straight linked to within the textual content or listed on the backside to take readers on to the supply.
Talkspace psychological well being companies
Handy and safe on-line remedy from the consolation of your property
Psychiatric remedy from a licensed prescriber
Relationship-centered remedy that connects you and your accomplice
Specialised on-line remedy for ages 13-17